1. West New Jersey, 1674-1680

    New Jersey Government in 1674

    In the last post I mentioned that the Dutch had briefly retaken New Netherland, only to give it up again in 1674. Following this development, James Duke of York decided that he needed to get better control over his New World colonies, so he began by appointing Edmund Andros to be governor of New York, with the immediate goal of converting New Netherland back into and English royal colony.

    The trouble...

  2. This article concerns the marriage of Isaac Woolverton to Abigail Herrin.

    Authors David A. Macdonald and Nancy N. McAdams made a very serious mistake concerning this marriage. In their book, THE WOOLVERTON FAMILY: 1693 – 1850 and Beyond, they vehemently deny that Isaac Woolverton Sr. was married to Abigail Herrin. The truly odd thing about this is that the very records they cite for proof, in fact, do just the opposite! Those records prove beyond a doubt that Isaac Woolverton was indeed...

  3. The Early Years of West New Jersey

    Charles II of England was restored to his throne in 1660 following the downfall of the Puritan Commonwealth led by Oliver Cromwell. The king and his supporters had been in the wilderness so long, they were hungry for the perquisites of power, including the ability to wage war and exploit colonies. Among those supporters was the king’s brother James Duke of York, who was made Admiral of the English Navy.

    James had his eye on North America. The Colony of...

  4. East New Jersey, West New Jersey

    Earliest settlements were along the Hudson River and the Delaware River. It is these two rivers, plus the Atlantic coast, south of the Hudson, that determined the earliest settlement patterns. Remember, in the mid-17th century, traveling overland was a pain, and could only be done on horseback if you knew how to find the Indian trails. The preferred method of transport was by water, because by water you could easily move heavy and bulky goods. So the rivers...